Funeral Guide

Let us guide you through the sharing of our knowledge on all funeral related affairs. As you dive into the different topics, you will be well prepared, informed for what’s ahead.

CasketPre-planningPost FuneralFuneral Related CostsWhen a death occursCeremonies and RitualsDressing and EmbalmingWake LocationsMedia
Can I customise my casket?

There are such services, though limited, offered by different companies in Singapore.

How many days should I hold the wake for?

Wakes in Singapore are usually held for an average of 3 to 5 days. Factors that are considered when deciding on the duration of the wake includes things like whether there are family members who will be flying in from abroad, the cost of the wake, etc.

Where can i place the ashes of my loved ones?

You may place the ashes of your loved one in columbaria niches. Niches are available at two government-managed columbaria and private columbaria.

Bookings for government-managed columbaria can be made online, or in person at the booking office. Government columbaria includes Mandai Crematorium and Columbarium Complex and Choa Chu Kang Columbarium.

How do I post an obituary in the newspapers?

The booking of an obituary may be done so online ( or in person at the relevant publication offices during office hours. You may also arrange for a direct cremation notice with your preferred publication (eg. The Straits Times, Lianhe Zaobao, Berita Harian, Tamil Murasu, etc).

To view what the necessary documents are for the booking of an obituary, visit

What should i do if my loved one passed away overseas?

The body of a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident may be brought back to Singapore for cremation or burial. However, a Coffin (Import) Permit is required to bring the body into Singapore. Please engage a funeral director to assist you on the relevant procedures.

Though the death occurred overseas, it must also be reported to Singapore’s Registry of Births and Deaths, Citizen Centre, 3rd Storey, ICA Building, personally by the next-of-kin of the deceased. If the next-of-kin is unable to report the death personally at the ICA building, a letter of authorisation will be required.

Documents required:

  1. Death Certificate issued by the foreign authorities (an English-translated copy is required if the death certificate is in ethnic languages)
  2. Coffin (Import/Export) permit
  3. Permit to Bury/Cremate
  4. Deceased’s Singapore identity card, passport, Citizenship Certificate (if any), and
  5. Informant’s identification documents

For foreign nationals, the body may be imported into Singapore for cremation or burial (if the next-of-kin is Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident).

A Coffin (Import) Permit is required to bring a body into Singapore (in which a funeral director can assist with). A Permit to Cremate or a Permit to Bury will be issued together with the Coffin (Import) Permit. If the application is by the funeral director, the permit will be granted only if the next-of-kin gives a letter of authorisation to the funeral director to apply for the permit.

Foreign nationals who are cremated in Singapore are entitled to purchase niches at private columbaria only.

Who should I call when a death occurs at home?

Contact your family doctor who has been attending to the deceased OR a neighbourhood doctor who is willing to make a house call. Alternatively you may call our hotline and we can arrange for a doctor to assist your family.

If the doctor is able to certify the death, he will issue the Certificate of Cause Of Death (CCOD) on the spot.

If the doctor is unable to certify the death OR there is no available doctors, you will have to call the police to arrange for the body to be sent to Mortuary @ HSA (located at Block 9, Singapore General Hospital) in a police hearse. Your family will be notified by the police on when to go to the Mortuary @ HSA (usually the next day).

After the CCOD has been obtained, your family may engage a funeral director to assist you on the following procedures.

Why should I cover all the mirrors at home with red paper?

Death is seen as a polluting element in the Chinese customs, a piece of red cloth or paper is used to cover the idols of deities and mirrors at home so as to avoid offending them by “exposing” them to death.

Can a pregnant lady attend a funeral or ceremony?

There is no hard and fast rule as to whether a pregnant lady can attend a funeral or ceremony. However, it would be advisable to check in with the bereaving family and your own family (if you are attending as a guest) as this is seen as a taboo to some.

Dressing and Embalming

Embalming is not required by law. However, it is advisable if your family opts to allow the viewing of the deceased during the funeral wake.

Besides the void deck, where can I hold a wake?

Here are some alternatives to a void deck location:

  1. Precinct Pavilions
  2. Funeral Parlours
  3. Private Homes
  4. Places of Worship
  5. State Land
  6. Carparks
Do you provide set up and rental of items for filming?

Yes we do. You may contact us via email at